Search This Blog

Saturday, July 07, 2007

"Great Ideas!"


You may have noticed I've been rather "blog-lax" lately. I've been busy developing two FUN classes - both rather labor intensive. The Lord has handed me my dream on a platter with all the trimmings - I've been hired to teach "Beginning Koine" twice a week to a group of elementary-grade homeschoolers and their Moms, starting this Fall. There's also the possibility of teaching a second group at the HS level. Once my mind was headed in this direction... the ideas began to flood in!

I would like to make the classes interdisciplinary by integrating Ancient Literature, History, Geography, Bible, Archaeology, Creative Writing, Art and my travels along with the language - a little at a time, of course. ;) The beauty is that such knowledge will be infinitely useful. This is learning that can be applied to NT Bible Study! The advantage of teaching the Moms along with their children is that THEY can learn it, which will enable them to practice it with their children the other 3 days of the week. [I'm working on Lesson Plans for them to accompany our Koine lessons.] AND they will be able to learn at a slower, less painful pace. Of course, it is entirely possible that at some point they may want to advance more rapidly...which should just fit in to the time 1st year Koine will again be offered at NSTM. What can I say... it's "win/win"!

The second class I have been working on is based upon another request. Many of the women in our Ladies' classes would like to have a class on how to teach the Bible- from exegesis to application. One advantage of putting this material together is that I will become a better teacher! I've been doing a lot of reading, studying and preparation. This could also take the rest of the summer. I have considered sharing some of the points in this blog as I progress. Such info will be old hat to some, but perhaps useful to others!

So, I am happily working away and should be forgiven my "temporary" laxity in blogging. Just don't give me any more FUN ideas... for a while anyway. ;)

4 comments:

LegoDoug Wilcox said...

SEE what happens when "Lost" isn't running on TV and your mind gets busy with other things?

Incidentally, before Transformers last week, there was a trailer for an unnamed film by one of the Lost creators, under the "Bad Robot" logo ...

Beth said...

I am so glad that you're talents and knowledge will be passed on! Just be sure to keep open a slot in 2012 when Nehemiah is 6 (sniff, sniff).

BethsMomToo said...

Niam and I are already working on the Greek alphabet. Putting it to music and finding a board book of the Greek alphabet were great. Wouldn't it be funny if he learns the Greek alphabet BEFORE he learns the English alphabet? ;)

BethsMomToo said...

Wow, here it is 2012 and I'm about to start another Koine class, mostly adults this time. And the grandsons are around 5. Sigh ... how did time pass so quickly!