Search This Blog

Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Clear View of God In the Midst of Trials

Elyse Fitzpatrick, well-known nouthetic counselor & author, recently wrote about "cascading trials." That is, those times believers experience overlapping trials all within a short period of time. In such circumstances, it can become easy to lose your eternal perspective and forget the character of God. May this reminder of God's love and faithfulness to His people help keep you focused upon Him and strengthen you during such times. May you not be deceived concerning God's love and care for you, the one spiritually united to Christ.
Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren. Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow. In the exercise of His will He brought us forth by the word of truth, so that we would be a kind of first fruits among His creatures.  (James 1:16-18)
Fitzpatrick writes...
"When we face loss, death, change, or concern about future provision, we need a clear vision of the Lord who never changes his disposition toward us. He has chosen to bless us with salvation, and he takes pleasure in us. He is good, and his disposition toward us is one of showering us with good gifts.

James speaks powerfully: Don’t be deceived! The strength that you need to walk faithfully through a torrential downpour comes from remembering how he has covenanted to love you and sustain you, no matter what. The ability to fight against the unbelief in my own heart is fueled by remembering his love and determination to bless me. Am I in a cascade of trial? Yes. But there is another truth here: I am standing under a cascade of good gifts from a Father who never changes, no matter how I doubt, and who loved me enough to save my soul.

What do I need to remember when I’m under that cascade of trial? Simply this: He didn’t choose me because my faith was so strong or my record meritorious. He won’t continue to love me because I believe so perfectly. He loves me because he has chosen to love me in his Son, and nothing ever changes that. Yes, we suffer, sometimes grievously. But that cascade of trial is overwhelmed by a deluge of good and perfect gifts coming down from a faithful Father who loves us, no matter what."

[Elyse Fitzpatrick's entire post may be viewed here under February 20th.]

No comments: