Search This Blog

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Top Five REreads

I have been meandering through a book called "Every Book Its Reader" (Nicholas Basbanes). He got me thinking about a better way to make "Favorites" lists. Rather than using impossible categories, such as Top 100 Books (for what? based on what? for what audience?), it makes more sense to make more specific lists. So I'm instituting a new series based on Favorite Books - By Category.

We'll start with our top 3-5 "REreads". What books do you find yourself coming back to? I've discovered there are some that have held my interest over the years, while others that were favorites in the past are now not so interesting to me. That's a good reason to never have an all-time favorites list...how do you know it's still a favorite if you haven't read it recently? We change...and so do our tastes.

My Top Five REreads:
Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Tolkein (they count as ONE, right?): I think I've read them seven times now, starting back in my college days. They continue to hold my complete attention.

Wuthering Heights, Bronte: I'm convinced ONE of these times Heathcliff won't end up so angry and Cathy won't be such an immature idiot.

A Room with a View, E.M. Forster: This guy could write! England AND Florence...how can you go wrong?

Ray Bradbury Reader: It's hard to understand how I can STILL enjoy his stories when I already know how they all end...but I do!

Amusing Ourselves to Death, Neil Postman: Nonfiction "issue" books can quickly become dated, but this one is even MORE applicable than when it was written!!

2 comments:

BethsMomToo said...

The Bible is in a category of its own. I don't think I've read that particular book by Heinlein, though there was a time I read a lot by him. What's the one he's so famous for? The one about the alien trying to live on earth? I remember liking it, but that was before I changed my POV, so I may not find it so interesting now.

I'll have to tell a few people about the blog or this could be like the two of us emailing each other. ;)

BethsMomToo said...

I was just thinking about your comment concerning being able to quote certain books. When the kids were growing up we had favorite movies that we would quote - 'The Princess Bride' garnered the most quotes (especially the "mawidge" sequence)! B&T, can you remember any other movies we quoted? [Tim was "the king of quotes"...and still is.]