Search This Blog

Friday, August 26, 2011

What to Read? What to Read?

"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested; that is, some books are to be read only in parts; others to be read, but not curiously; and some few to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention." [Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies]
That got me thinking about how people choose what books they read. The modern book industry has become quite adept at flooding the market every year with "must-have" new books. Book marketing is both an art and a science. In our rush to consume the "new" we often forget all about the well-written older books. I recently read a book by British novelist Susan Hill ("Howards End is on the Landing") in which she poured over her bookshelves choosing a year's worth of reading/rereading material from among her own books. While I wouldn't necessarily make the same choices she did, her book did inspire me to take better advantage of my own library, instead of submitting to the siren call of book publishers and fattening the pockets of amazon stockholders.

I've considered "downsizing" my library, though the mere thought gives me the shivers. My interests do not generally run according to the offerings available in the local libraries. Their British history sections are pretty much limited to Princess Diana & her boys, theology & Bible commentaries are noticeably absent (and there is no seminary nearby), there's very little on archaeology, biographies are most likely to be about celebrities, and classic literature is usually available only in yellowed, brittle-paged paperbacks poured over & penciled in by hundreds & hundreds of former students. My aging eyes can't take the challenge. Such are the limitations of living in rural America where the current best sellers rule.

Somehow I have convinced myself that, not only will I live to be old enough to read & reread everything I want to, but extra time will miraculously appear from somewhere so that I may actually accomplish my goal. It's my dream and I'm sticking to it!

My first choice was to read something by Dorothy L. Sayers. I chose "The Nine Tailors," a Peter Whimsey mystery. I can't say I really wanted to know that much about British bell ringing, but it was fascinating to find out they are arranged on a mathematical basis, not by any particular tune. The ending seemed a bit abrupt. I'm still thinking about the significance of her having ended the book the way she did. Now I've started John Bunyan's "The Pilgrim's Progress." I chose a "modern English" text this time. I know, I'm a sissy. But there are so many books I'm working through for study, I decided to give myself a break in my pleasure reading. My next choice will be a Christian biography, I think, though I haven't quite decided which one yet.

If you could read from only your own library in the next year, what are some of the books you would choose? I'd be curious to hear your recommendations and the thinking behind your choices.

No comments: