Search This Blog

Saturday, December 03, 2011

A Look at Real Faithfulness

I am not a very faithful being. I intend to do something, but the days fill up and pass by and I have trouble finding an empty Saturday. I vow I'll visit my shut-in friends ... and don't seem to do it nearly enough. I say I'll bring a book for someone ... and forget who it was or which book it was they wanted. (Never feel bad about reminding me!) I'll have endless ideas for preparing classes & self-tutorials & powerpoint lessons & devotionals, yet can't seem to find the time to execute them all. (Sorry, Julie ... I really WILL finish the one you're waiting for!) I intend to write encouraging notes and letters to college students, but few make it to their intended recipients. My desires & intentions are limited by my lack of time ... my lack of ability ... my aging memory ... my lack of power to actually accomplish it all.

I don't think I'm alone in these struggles. I've noticed there's actually an acceptable phrase now for telling people you have great intentions, but you're not going to actually DO anything. We say, "I'm thinking of you." and feel we've accomplished something. We could be regularly raising up prayers before the throne of God on their behalf. We could be helping them out with a physical need. We could send them a note with an encouraging passage from Scripture or an edifying book or a small gift to lift their spirits. We could be there listening to their grief, their pain, their frustration and giving real encouragement or needed admonishment from God's Word. We could be doing so many things ... but we settle for "thinking" of them. 

I'm so glad God IS a faithful being. He keeps His promises. His every intention is brought to fruition because He makes it happen. It's His character to be faithful, true and trustworthy. He CAN be relied upon. He is not limited by time, nor by ability, nor by memory, nor by power. Unlike me, He can be totally relied upon.
"God is not a man, that He should lie, Nor a son of man, that He should repent; Has He said, and will He not do it? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?" (Num.23:19)
"... the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable." (Rom.11:29)
"God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord." (1Cor.1:9)
"No temptation/trial has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted/tried beyond what you are able, but with the temptation/trial will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it." (1Cor.10:13)
"Therefore, those also who suffer according to the will of God shall entrust their souls to a faithful Creator in doing what is right." (1Pet.4:19)

No comments: