Search This Blog

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Book Preview: "Parenting By God's Promises"

I hesitate to offer another book preview so quickly, but I thought Ligonier's review of  Dr. Joel Beeke's new book, Parenting By God's Promises, offered some really practical advice. I always have my eye out for biblical parenting advice because I can still remember the challenges of parenting well. At 350 pages long, I'm not sure how many will be interested in taking it on, but this looks too interesting for me to pass up. I've preordered a copy for the FBC Library. I'll let you know when it comes in. Here's one piece of advice from the book.


From the chapter, "Preventive Discipline"

We are leaving in fifteen minutes. Please clean up your room before we go.” That command sounds clear, doesn’t it?

Perhaps there are twenty items on the floor when the child walks into his room, and about ten more things out of place. He picks up five things and then comes downstairs. His parents ask whether he has cleaned his room. He says, “Yes.” The parents check the room and exclaim: “It’s a pigpen in here! You didn’t clean your room.” The child says, “Yes, I did!”

Is it possible this boy really believes he has cleaned his room? Because a child thinks very differently from an adult, often what the adult says by implication does not get through to the child. The child may interpret an order in a way not intended by the parent. In the above example, perhaps the parents are to blame for not making their request perfectly clear. It would be better for them to say: “Pick up everything lying on the floor and put it where it belongs. Remember, in fifteen minutes we have to leave, so you should work fast.” Do you see the difference? We must be specific and leave nothing to the imagination. When we ask a child, “Did you get everything off the floor?” he should understand what we mean.

Give children clear instructions. You will not have to employ corrective discipline as much when both of you understand what is expected.

2 comments:

Steph said...

Excellent advice! Something I am constantly reminded of with Caleb because I need to be VERY specific with him!

BethsMomToo said...

The book is now available in the FBC Library!