Search This Blog

Saturday, March 10, 2007

The Food of My Dreams


Just before waking this AM I had a dream in which I was supposed to write an essay about peanut butter. In the dream my main problems were finding things to write on and trying to finish the essay before the time was up. I actually composed and edited the essay in my dream! When I awoke I felt compelled to quickly write it down. Now what are blogs for if not to share compelling dream essays? [Do you ever compose in your dreams or is this something unique to me? Is this how "War and Peace" was written? ... lots of naps?] Here's as far as I got with the essay before waking up:

What I love most about peanut butter is how it assails your senses. As you grab for that jar with the familiar red, blue and yellow logo you wonder how ANYONE could choose another brand. If we call products "Kleenex" and "Bandaids" and "Fluff", why don't we call peanut butter "Skippy"? As you unscrew the blue lid the strong peanuty aroma transports you back to the endless days of childhood, full of fresh air and sunshine. Then you slowly, precisely spread it onto your white bread, careful not to tear that precious commodity, and fold the bread in half - the perfect meal held in one hand. The first bite has to come from the middle, of course. The resulting overabundance of peanut butter in your mouth thickens your tongue, forcing you to use a finger to pry cheek from teeth.

3 comments:

Tim Costine said...

but what you really have to ask is this... what was God trying to tell you through the dream?

BethsMomToo said...

It's really set me wondering about my Muse. This must be a 10th Muse, previously undiscovered by the Greeks. I mean really - I was totally inspired [English inspiration, not Biblical] to write...and THIS is the best I can do?! My bouts of "absolutely having" to write something have not exactly resulted in the next bestseller or even sparkling reviews by the literati. I definitely think I got a second-rate Muse.

bdaneau said...

I am not surprised you felt compelled to write an essay in your dreams! Now I must go make a peanut butter sandwich...